Copy and paste these questions into NOTES.
- What is the main topic of this article?
- What is the author’s purpose? Why did the author write this text?
- Why did the presidential election of 1860 trigger southern states to declare secession? (Paragraph 2)
- Why did Nationalists refuse to recognize this secession?
- According to paragraph 3, was it slavery that caused disunion? Why or why not?
- In paragraph 4, it states the South was dominated by what system?
- According to paragraph 4, how did the North differ from the South?
- Why did many politicians make compromises when it came to slavery?
- Northerners believed slavery was a national evil. What else did they believe about the Southern plantation owners?
- How is this text organized? What is the structure of this text? Explain your answer.